Friday, September 25, 2009

It works; now what?

Not very much new to report today. Everything is going along well. I haven't had any difficulties with the transition, other than a few nights when it was hard to wake up and a bit of worry about whether or not it's good for me. Perhaps this is because I'm already rather used to dealing with sleep-deprivation, however. I'm not used to it in the way that it's a daily occurrence for me and my normal state of functioning; most days I am not sleep-deprived, and I know the difference. However, I am able to make myself stay awake and function while sleep-deprived pretty well, and for the most part, it doesn't cause me a great deal of pain. I was also in the habit of napping when I had the time, so that wasn't really something new for me to adjust to, either.

I've had seem very odd sleep patterns in the past, and it wasn't odd for me to stay up all night because I was doing something I couldn't put down. For a while when I was 18 and not really doing anything that required me to be up all day (basically NEET), I slept from foredawn to mid-afternoon. My typical day was to do some work that required daylight during the afternoon then (such as fixing up the house or yard), enjoy some time outside at gloaming, and then spend the rest of the evening chatting or playing games, maybe take an evening nap, and read or study during the late night hours. I didn't eat much during this time; my appetite seems to actually follow a circadian rhythm in that I don't get hungry much at night. I would have dinner and a snack and that was all I felt like eating. And I've noticed that with my current polyphasic schedule, I don't get hungry late at night either, but I will get hungry around dawn. Others that I've told about this have speculated that it's simply because I don't do much that's physically active at night, but I'm not sure this is the cause. I don't do much physical activity as a student either, but mental activity will make me hungry all the same.

I felt very physically tired last night, however, and after taking an hour nap and waking up still feeling wiped, decided to have a recharge sleep of a few hours. I woke up early and proceeded to have an active and productive day, doing some shopping and cooking for the week ahead, watching a movie I'd been meaning to get to, and working on an assignment. I didn't feel like napping during the morning, and at my afternoon nap time, I couldn't believe that it was still so early in the day. Not because I was tired, but because I'd gotten a lot done. I slept only a short time and am back at work now, and will probably have a short core-sleep later and continue working tonight, in hopes of getting caught up on some things.

Anyway, even though I am not following something as strict as Uberman and have had a flexible pattern, I feel like I can be successful on a polyphasic schedule. Overall, I've been sleeping less, but feel like I'm getting more out of my time awake. The only question that remains for me is whether it's sustainable. I think I've gotten to like it more than I thought after starting, as I initially had some reservations about whether I'd be happy giving up long sleeps. Maybe I was really oversleeping before, because I seem to be doing just as well with less rest. Now, I'm not sure I'd want to give up on the possibility of having more time and still having plenty of refreshing naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment