Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Insomniacal

I still have trouble making myself just go to sleep at night.

What's happened for the last few days is that I will delay going for my core sleep, and end up combining it with the pre-dawn nap. As a result, I'm not getting evenly-spaced rest, and I'm still not learning good napping habits. I'm just having my typical "fail at monophasic" type sleep. What's even odder is that, even with going to bed so late and so tired, I could not fall asleep for more than a half hour. Maybe this is attributable to the bad mood I was in earlier over the amount of work that I have to finish this month. I was gung-ho to get something done, as well, but I came to the point where I was too tired to continue and just needed to rest.

I suppose it's a result of old habits. I want to stay up late and work. Part of the reason for trying polyphasic was so that I could both enjoy staying up late and getting up early, and refresh myself and get some needed breaks during the day, rather than fighting constant tiredness.

If I can make myself stick to any sort of schedule, things will be much better for me. The consistency of rest is something that I need to make long periods of work easier and more productive. So what is my aversion to schedules?

Basically, although I'm feeling tired during the day, I'm not feeling tired at night, not until well after midnight. That's about when I'd feel tired when I was doing monophasic. So, I'm still not over that yet. I don't know whether the solution to resetting my schedule is to stay up and make myself tired and then start taking naps (a way that some choose for adjusting) or start out forcing myself to sleep and wake at the scheduled times until I begin to fall asleep at those times. I had hoped to do the latter, and I'm going to keep trying until I can conclusively say whether or not my schedule will work for me.

It looks like it's going to be a nice, rainy day today, so I'm going to try taking a mid-day nap in my car to take advantage of the cool weather. I've yet to find a spot that's both secluded and comfortable for sleeping indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment