Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Progress report

First, I want to thank those who read and contact me with comments. Discussing this has been constructive and educational.

I'll talk some on how I've been doing. I don't expect to know how well this schedule works versus Dymaxion (my preferred schedule, but one in which I felt like I wasn't getting enough sleep on and gave up trying) until I've been adapting to it for some time. Then I can rate my energy and cognitive function versus that and the way I usually just stay up until I'm sleepy and then sleep for however long I have time for or can stay asleep.

Right now, since I am having trouble feeling like going to sleep around the times that I picked, I am focusing on at least trying to wake up at those times and become adjusted to that. The last two nights, I haven't felt like going to sleep until about 2 am, very close to my desired nap time of 4 am, so I just went ahead and slept until 5:30 and woke myself then. I was tired after waking up at this time, but I'm focusing on trying to at least get down the tactic of getting up at the same time every morning. There is nothing bad about this, whatever sleep schedule one is on, and I feel like developing that habit will lead to other successful training. I think this is a good morning wake time, and I could move it slightly in either direction. I'm debating changing my sleep times to 3:30 and 11:30, so that I could then wake at 5:00 and 13:00. As for my evening sleep, since this is the hardest time for me to feel like falling asleep and to schedule it around other things, it would be nice if I could shoot for about 22:00 for it, but we'll see what happens.

So, one of my tactics is trying to always wake up at about the same time for my morning and noon naps. Some things I'm doing to help me wake are focusing on what time I want to wake when I go to sleep, and giving myself an incentive to get up at that time, such as doing a fun activity then and not at any other time. Stuff I've been doing is reading a book, but I may switch to something more exciting to help myself wake more quickly. I'm still having trouble getting my mind awake at a set time and I've come close to going back to bed the last two nights. Another thing I'm doing is that when I wake up in the dark, the first thing I do is turn on a light. Even before I turn the alarm off. This really helps.

That's it for now, as I actually feel like taking my noon nap today, so I will try to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment