Monday, December 28, 2009

Another day, and some thoughts on procrastination

I didn't feel tired enough to fall asleep for my evening nap until about 1 am. I slept until 2 am, and woke up tired, due to not having been able to get my rest earlier. I went ahead and took my nap at 4 am as planned, and woke up feeling better, but still in the mood for more rest. I took my nap 90 minute nap much earlier, at about 8 am. Right now, I feel good, awake, and don't think I'll be in the mood for a nap at noon. I'm trying to make myself think of sleep, but can't really. I have too many other activities on my mind, such as getting ready for the new year.

Over the last few years, with being overscheduled (and having too many personal obligations), and often dealing with stress and the urge to procrastinate (which often led to my resulting sleeplessness, both being too busy to sleep and too wired to sleep) that results from being too stressed to face things, I've developed a strong aversion to procrastinating now. I always want to get things done now, and done correctly. I've also learned that tasks are rarely as difficult as we think they'll be. Things that I used to want to procrastinate on often turn out to be something simple and easy to accomplish when I get to them, if I simply approach them with the mindset that I will get them done, and done immediately. Prolonging them only makes it more annoying to finally finish them, and realize it was something much easier than I had thought, in my stressed-out frame of mind. Things also become more difficult to do, the longer you wait on them. If you are certain that something must be done, and you know (or can find out) how it should be done, then there is never any reason to hesitate. Hesitation is only warranted when more time is necessary to plan something out; taking the time to figure something out fully is usually better than making a rash decision, when you can afford that luxury. Of course, some things just need quick decisions, as hesitation doesn't always make things clearer. However, if you know what you must do and yet you wait, you are just prolonging something that could be easily dealt with and that will quickly become history.

No comments:

Post a Comment